Week of Service
Hosted by Cavaliers Serve Committee of PTCA, SGA, and Key Club
SERVICE is defined as the contribution to the welfare of others. Service is a virtue our students speak of daily at Atlanta Classical Academy and at this time in our history serving others is more important than ever. Cavaliers Serve invites your family to participate in the school’s inaugural Week of Service from October 18th – October 24th.
The PTCA, along with the Student Government and the Key Club, challenge each student to commit to 2 hours of service during this week-long event. We have outlined a theme for each day with suggested projects. We welcome you to participate in each of the opportunities listed. Let’s make a positive, lasting impact in the communities where we live and work. Thank you for your willingness to serve!
- Who: Families in need in the North Atlanta Cluster of APS
- How: Food drive supporting Operation Feed a local, grassroots organization that was born out of love and compassion for its neighbors and surrounding community.
- Sign up here to donate Base Box A and/or Base Box B (details in sign up)
- Drop off your bagged donations on Sunday, October 18th from 4 pm-6 pm at ACA
- Key Club will help with the collection at ACA and assist with the distribution to identified families on Friday at E. Rivers.
- Who: ACA’s wonderful and hardworking faculty and staff who have made the best out of virtual instruction
- How: Let’s thank them by showering them with sustenance to get them through the last week of our nine-week virtual block
- Sign up here to bring individually wrapped snacks and drinks
- Drop off your donations on Monday, October 19th from 8 am-10 am at ACA
- Who: Neighbors, elderly residents, family members, essential workers, teachers, kids at CHOA, and anyone who needs support and encouragement
- How: Times are mentally and physically challenging for a lot of people right now. Let someone know you appreciate them and are thinking about them by writing a note of encouragement. Need ideas?
- Postcard for a neighbor – https://www.handsonatlanta.org/blog/spread-kindness-not-the-virus
- InCommunity – https://www.handsonatlanta.org/blog/thank-a-metro-atlanta-health-care-provider-wnsea
- Metro Atlanta Health Care Worker – https://www.handsonatlanta.org/blog/thank-a-metro-atlanta-health-care-provider
- Who: Children in Africa
- How: Books for Africa has a simple, single-minded mission: end the book famine in Africa. Since its inception, Books for Africa has donated over 48 million books.
- Clean out your home libraries and donate your used books! Please see guidelines on accepted books here.
- Drop off your book donation in the book bin by the front door of ACA or bring them to the canned food drive on Saturday, October 24th from 9 am-12 pm.
- Once you find some books to donate, read to a sibling, or read to a friend or family member.
- Who: Your surrounding community
- How: Paint kindness or happiness rocks and leave them around the community
- Who: Your surrounding community
- How: Grab your family or a small group of friends and help clean, repair or improve public spaces. Does your elderly neighbor need help raking leaves? Does your neighborhood have green spaces that you can help beautify by planting fall flowers? Consider picking up trash at your local park. Still need ideas? Check out these organizations:
- Who: Families adversely affected by COVID-19
- How: Help our SGA support Summerhill Community Ministries by donating to their food drive. Summerhill has been providing inner-city youths constructive alternative programs for over 25 years. SGA is partnering with other Atlanta area schools to bring food items to those most affected by COVID-19.
- Sign up here to donate food items and cleaning supplies (details on sign up).
- Drop off your donations on Saturday, October 24th from 9 am-12 pm.
*Please note that all activities are optional. For public safety reasons, do not gather in large groups. Practice social distancing and other safety measures whenever possible.